The School was created in 1920 as a modest Department of Languages off the School of Law of the National University of Córdoba. The main objective of its creation was offering university students the possibility of learning a foreign language as part of their cultural and professional training. At that time, French, Italian and the basics of Legal Latin were taught.
Throughout the years, the curricula have undergone subsequent modifications which have allowed for greater flexibility, proper professional training and updated pedagogical training. That is why didactic-pedagogical courses are included in the Teaching program and technical courses are included in the Translation program.
The latter was given a new layout that brought about a better professional specificity and introduced courses in legal training which allow the graduate to act as a public official.
The quality of professional training, the updated curricula, the development of a community engagement policy appropriate for the requirements of the environment, research projects and academic exchange programs with foreign universities gradually turned the Department of Languages into an academic unit with a solid tradition.
The progressive growth of the Department and its strong integration in the community led the University Assembly on August 5, 2000 to create the twelfth school in the National University of Córdoba: the School of Languages, which, since September 10, 2001, has the emblem that identifies it, its coat of arms.
All throughout its history, the School of Languages has made and still makes an outstanding contribution to our country’s culture and education, and its academic prestige reaches beyond national boundaries.
The National University of Córdoba is the oldest university in the Argentine Republic and the second one in America. Its origin dates back to the first quarter of the 17th century, when the Jesuit order set up the Colegio Máximo in Córdoba, the basis for the future university.
In 1613, higher education began thanks to the encouragement of Bishop Juan Fernando de Trejo y Sanabria under the Jesuits’ guidance. Eight years later, Pope Gregory XV granted the Colegio Máximo the authority to award academic degrees. Then, in 1622, King Philip IV of Spain signed a Royal Decree giving this institution university status.
In 1856, the University was nationalized, and it began to be managed by and dependent on the National Government. A little over half a century later, in 1918, young people attending university in Córdoba started a movement, to which voices across the continent joined rapidly in favor of the democratization of education. This movement grew under the name of University Reform, and it spread from Córdoba to Latin America, achieving political and social influence and having a great historical impact on the Americas. After the Reform and under Act 1420, Argentine national universities became autonomous.
At present, the National University of Córdoba is home to approximately 114,000 students, 8,000 teachers and 3,000 non-teaching staff members. Undergraduate programs are divided into fifteen schools: School of Architecture, Urbanism and Design; School of Agricultural Sciences; School of Economic Sciences; School of Exact, Physical and Natural Sciences; School of Medical Sciences; School of Chemical Sciences; School of Law; School of Philosophy and Humanities; School of Mathematics, Astronomy and Physics; School of Dentistry; School of Psychology; School of Languages; School of Arts; School of Social Sciences and School of Communication Sciences.